Thursday, May 20, 2010

Help me!!

Ok, so I've become re-dedicated to (read: obsessed with) working out again. This has happened before. One summer, when I was home on break between my years at college, I was working out constantly and that was probably the healthiest I have ever been. Well, I've been re-bit (re-bitten?? whatever...) by the fitness bug after years of pregnancy, newborns and miscarriage. But there seems to be a problem this time around.

I started the re-dedication on March 1st. During the first 6 weeks, 10lbs literally melted off. I was stoked and so encouraged!! Each week I've stepped it up a notch - increasing my miles, speed, weight used in resistance training, and length of workout sessions. I vary my workouts, too, doing different things on different days. In the last four days, I've worked out for 1.5- 2 hours every day. On top of it, my caloric intake is between 1600-1800 calories (and not empty ones either), and I've been careful to add lots of protein to my diet.

So today, I stepped on the scale, expecting to see a HUGE number since it's been another 6 weeks since my last weigh in. What did I see instead? A big, fat .5lb lost. WHAT!?! HALF A POUND!?!?! IN SIX WEEKS!?!?!!?!?

WHAT am I doing wrong??

2 comments:

  1. First of all... you have to remember that a loss is a loss no matter how much it is..... down half a pound is way better them up half a pund, and also since you don't know what your weight was last week since it's been 6 weeks you shouldn't reallygo by that number.. it can swing afew pounds depending on the time of day, what you ate the night before, and when you last went to the bathroom:-).... also from what I have read you shouldn't eat the same amount of calories everyday or you body goes into fat storage mode.. I saw a diagram that looked like this Sun-cheat day eat whatever you want, mon-1600c, tue1200c, wed1800c, thur 1500c... like that.and with doing weght training you are prolly seeingmuscle definition, and usually that comes from muscle gain which keeps you from loosing alot but you still look better..

    ReplyDelete
  2. michele, you may have weight to lose, but its not much. you are are too small to be dropping big numbers at a fast pace. you find the slower pace (as long as they're still dropping) the better and easier it will be to maintain it. BUT, none-the-less, I def., work hard for my pounds and I know it can be frustrating when it doesn't come off as soon as you will it to. From what it sounds like, you are doing nothing wrong....you're just doing it the right way! keep up the good work!

    also a big factor, you may not see much pounds coming off if you are building muscle mass. Always take the waist size into bigger consideration and don't be so focused on your actual weight. and congrats on getting yourself healthy and being so diligent!

    ReplyDelete