Monday, March 15, 2010

More Than Conquerors.

Coffee. That yummy, energizing nectar we all crave. Well...for me it's a no no...

Right before I had Addisyn, I was downing about 3 (sometimes more) cups a day and never really thought anything of it. Then I found out I was pregnant. I had heard all the horror stories of what caffeine does to unborn babies, so I decided it was time to cut back *my OB told me it was ok to drink 300mg of caffeine a day.* That's when I found out how bad my addiction really was. I started out only having a small cup in the morning, and sure enough, by lunch time I'd be craving another cup and usually would be trembling. This scared me at first, so I gave into what my body was telling me and would have another cup. Then I'd realize what I just did to my baby and feel guilty and try and quit cold turkey. This vicious cycle continued until I had to FORCE myself to stop drinking it, and when that happened it gave me horrible headaches and would make me tremble. That's when God spoke to me.

Now, I'm not saying coffee is a bad addiction for everyone, but for me it was. I don't judge ANYONE who drinks it. **I also don't think caffeine or coffee is inherently bad, but just as with other addictions - drugs, alcohol, sex, food etc - Our Enemy has taken something created by God, twists it and convinces us that we need these things more than we need Him.** But I was abusing the caffeine and relying on it to "just get me through the day." When I denied myself, I DIDN'T have the self-control to say no to it and would cave. Essentially I made a god out of it, because it took the place of my Heavenly Father - who has given me everything I need to be more than a conqueror. WOW! I had no idea...

This is just my example, but God wants us to rely on His strength for EVERYTHING!! There are tons of addictions out there - drug, alcohol, food, sex, caffeine, attention, control, money. He gives us the power to overcome these, but only if we want it - and we need to want holiness more than fleshly desires. It simply takes the courage to ask and trust.

There are also boundaries. I've learned moderation with my caffeine intake. I'll still drink a cup of coffee here or there socially (and ENJOY it SOOO much! :] ), but it's few and far between. On mornings I'm especially sleepy, I'll pour myself some green tea *which has a fraction of the caffeine in it* to wake me up - not to push me through the day.

Is there something you RELY on other/more than God to "just get you through"? If He has saved you, then you are MORE THAN A CONQUEROR! Don't feel condemned, you're only human! Just seek His will! Be encouraged today - He loves you and has given you power through the death of Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment